This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through my links, I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the products I love and trust.
Here is the complete list of Harry Potter books in order, the series that captured the hearts of millions worldwide.
From the first harry potter book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone all the way to the final book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, find the chronological order of the seven fantasy novels written by author J. K. Rowling.
Whether you’re a Potter fan who loved the book or a fan of harry potter movies, these Harry Potter books promise an extraordinary escape into a realm of magic and mystery. No wonder Harry Potter is also the best-selling fantasy series of all time.
So dive into the full list of Harry Potter books in order, along with summaries, the Hogwarts library series and extra books & magical things from Wizarding World for Potterheads.
All Harry Potter Books in Order
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone/ Harry Potter and Philosopher’s Stone
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the first book in the Harry Potter series takes you on a magical journey with the young boy, Harry.
The orphan who has been living with his nasty uncle and aunt discovers that he is a wizard on the day of his eleventh birthday. Soon, he’s on his way to the captivating Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he befriends the clever Hermione Granger and the loyal and funny Ron Weasley.
However, it’s not all fun and games at Hogwarts. Harry learns about the dark wizard Voldemort, who wants to return to power and wreak havoc on the wizarding world. Along with his new friends, he faces challenges and uncovers secrets about his past that will leave you breathless.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is a delightful mix of friendship, bravery, and awe-inspiring magical adventures. From the mesmerizing Sorting Hat ceremony to the thrilling pursuit of the Sorcerer’s Stone, every page is filled with surprises and delights.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the second book in the series, starts with Harry’s lousy birthday and that pesky house-elf, Dobby, warning him about something ominous. But things take a wild turn when Ron swoops in with a flying car to rescue him from the dreadful Dursleys!
Now back at Hogwarts for his second year, things start getting seriously mysterious and spooky. There are these eerie whispers echoing through the hallways, sending shivers down your spine. And then, the unthinkable happens – students are found petrified as if they’ve been turned to stone!
Amidst all the suspense and danger, Harry, Hermione, and Ron are on the case! Together, they unravel the secrets of the mysterious Chamber of Secrets, facing dangerous creatures and dark magic along the way.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
In the third book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry discovers the truth about his parent’s death and a dangerous convict named Sirius Black.
As the trio faces the challenges of school, they also must confront the haunting dementors, protect their beloved Hippogriff Buckbeak, and navigate through time with the mysterious Time-Turner.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban delves deeper into the complexities of the characters and their emotions, making us love them even more. With thrilling action and revelations, it’s a page-turner that will leave you cheering for Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is an electrifying ride that’ll leave you on the edge of your seat! This time, Hogwarts is hosting the thrilling Triwizard Tournament, a magical sports extravaganza that brings together three wizarding schools.
And guess what? Harry unexpectedly finds himself as one of the champions, representing Hogwarts!
The tasks in the tournament are no joke – dragons, underwater challenges, and a treacherous maze. The excitement and danger are taken to a whole new level!
As if that wasn’t enough, dark forces are at play. Voldemort’s followers are stirring up trouble, and signs of his return become more apparent. The tension builds, and you can feel the weight of the impending danger lurking around every corner.
Amidst all this, friendships are tested, and romance blossoms. We see Harry, Ron, and Hermione growing up, dealing with teenage crushes and the complexities of their emotions. It’s a beautiful blend of magical adventure and relatable teenage struggles.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire marks a turning point in the series, where the stakes increase, and the tone turns darker. The bonds between characters deepen, and the plot thickens as we delve deeper into the mysteries of the wizarding world.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix offers a whole new level of drama and suspense.
Harry’s fifth year at Hogwarts is no walk in the park. The Ministry of Magic is in denial about Voldemort’s return, and they’re doing everything they can to discredit Harry and Dumbledore.
To make matters worse, Hogwarts is under the watchful eye of Dolores Umbridge, the most irritating and power-hungry professor you’ll ever come across. Her rules and Educational Decrees make the school feel like a prison, and the students can’t stand her, especially Harry.
Meanwhile Ron, Hermione, and the rest of the gang form Dumbledore’s Army, a secret group where they learn and practice Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Amidst all the chaos, Harry is plagued by nightmares surrounding death eaters leaving him feeling isolated and frustrated.
The book delves deeper into the complexities of the characters, showcasing their growth and resilience in the face of adversity. And when things come to a head with an epic battle at the Department of Mysteries, it’s a nail-biting showdown that’ll leave you holding your breath.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, we follow Harry as his sixth year at Hogwarts begins. While attending Slughorn’s potion class, he stumbles upon a potion’s old textbook that once belonged to the mysterious “Half-Blood Prince.” This book contains hidden spells and tips that boost Harry’s confidence and performance in Potions class.
Meanwhile, Dumbledore starts to share crucial information with Harry about Voldemort’s past, and we dive into the dark history of the Dark Lord. We learn about Horcruxes, objects that contain pieces of Voldemort’s soul, making him nearly immortal.
Amidst all the intense studying and Horcrux hunting, teenage hormones are still raging, and romance is in the air. Harry and his friends are dealing with the complexities of their feelings, which adds a touch of teenage charm to this gripping narrative.
But just when you think things can’t get any worse, tragedy strikes, leaving us heartbroken and reeling from the loss.
Through it all, we see the characters mature and face the challenges that come their way. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are growing up, and their friendship is stronger than ever, providing a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the epic conclusion of the Harry Potter series.
As the dark forces of Voldemort grow stronger, Harry, Hermione, and Ron are on a dangerous mission – to find and destroy the remaining Horcruxes, the objects that hold pieces of Voldemort’s soul. It’s a race against time and a battle of life and death as they face unimaginable challenges and perilous journeys.
The trio’s friendship is put to the ultimate test, and they must rely on each other’s strengths and unwavering loyalty to survive. It’s a journey filled with sacrifices, heartaches, and the weight of destiny that rests on Harry’s shoulders.
The book takes us on a thrilling ride, from sneaking into the Ministry of Magic to infiltrating Gringotts Bank, all in pursuit of their noble mission. And while the world around them crumbles with fear and darkness, they find solace and hope in the bonds they share.
The final battle at Hogwarts is a breathtaking showdown between good and evil, where courage and love become the ultimate weapons against Voldemort and his followers. It’s a battle that will keep you on the edge of your seat and your heart pounding with anticipation.
With a heartwarming epilogue that gives us a glimpse of the future, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a masterful conclusion to a spellbinding series.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is like a special treat that takes us back to the world of Hogwarts, even after the original series has ended.
The story picks up nineteen years later, with Harry Potter now an adult and a father to three kids, including his youngest son, Albus Severus. It’s time for Albus to head to Hogwarts, and boy, does he have some big shoes to fill as the son of the famous Harry Potter!
Albus makes an unexpected and unlikely friend in Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Harry’s old rival, Draco Malfoy. Together, they embark on a thrilling adventure involving a time-turner that messes with the past and creates alternate realities.
This play-style book explores the complexities of family, friendship, and the weight of legacy. Albus feels the pressure of living up to his father’s reputation, and their relationship isn’t all smooth sailing. But through their ups and downs, they learn important lessons about love, understanding, and acceptance.
The story also delves into the lives of some familiar characters from the original series, and we get to see how they’ve grown and evolved over the years. It’s like catching up with old friends!
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a captivating tale of time travel, magical mishaps, and the power of redemption.
Hogwarts Library Series for Harry Potter Fans
The Hogwarts Library Collecton includes three fascinating books that offer valuable insights into the wizarding world’s creatures, magical plants, and beloved classic fairy tales.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is written by J.K. Rowling, writing as Newt Scamander, the renowned magizoologist.
This book is a delightful guide to magical creatures. From the majestic Hippogriffs to the mischievous Nifflers, it’s like taking a trip through a magical zoo! Each creature is described in vivid detail, with handy danger ratings and observations on their behaviors and habitats.
You can now get a specially designed Kindle in Motion edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them as illustrated by Olivia Lomenech Gill.
Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp, J.K. Rowling
If you’ve ever been curious about the beloved wizarding sport of Quidditch, this is the book for you! Authored by Kennilworthy Whisp, it provides a comprehensive history of Quidditch, from its humble origins to its evolution into a globally beloved sport. You’ll learn about the different teams, famous players, and even the rules of the game. It’s like diving into the heart of the magical world’s most thrilling and airborne sport!
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
The Tales of Beedle the Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter, and the thrill of mortal peril.
Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts.
A uniquely magical volume, with illustrations by the author, J. K. Rowling, that will be treasured for years to come.
More books & magical things from The world of Harry Potter and Wizarding World.
- Wizarding World website(previously known as Pottermore): This interactive website was created by J.K. Rowling herself and is a treasure trove of wizarding knowledge. You can find exclusive writings from Rowling, detailing character backgrounds, magical objects, and historical events in the wizarding world. The website also offers quizzes to determine your Hogwarts house, wand, and Patronus. It’s like having your own magical journey right at your fingertips!
- Wizarding World Films: The magical adventures don’t end with the books! The Wizarding World films bring the stories to life on the big screen. From eight original Harry Potter films to Fantastic Beasts film series, you can immerse yourself in the wizarding universe through captivating visuals and brilliant storytelling.
- The Cursed Child” Play: In addition to the script-style book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was brought to life as a stage play. This theatrical experience offers a unique and immersive way to experience the next generation of wizards and their magical adventures. It’s like stepping into the magical world and witnessing the action unfold right before your eyes!
- Pottermore Presents eBooks:
This collection features three short eBooks, Each book provides additional insights into various aspects of the wizarding world, making it a delightful read for any Harry Potter enthusiast.
- Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship, and Dangerous Hobbies.
- Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics, and Pesky Poltergeists
- Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide
- The Fantastic Beasts screenplays
The Fantastic Beasts original screenplay follows the adventures of Newt Scamander as he travels the world to study and protect magical creatures. Set decades before the events of the original Harry Potter series, these stories take us on a journey through the wizarding world in the 1920s.
- In Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, we join Newt as he arrives in New York City with his enchanted suitcase filled with extraordinary creatures. But when some of his magical beasts escape, chaos ensues, and he must work with new friends to retrieve them. The screenplay brings to life the stunning visuals and enchanting creatures that make this film a visual feast.
- In Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, the adventure continues as Newt is pulled into the dangerous hunt for the dark wizard, Gellert Grindelwald. This screenplay delves deeper into the complexities of the characters and the tensions between good and evil, with thrilling twists and revelations that will leave you spellbound.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. So he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches, and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission.
There you have the complete list of the Harry Potter series and books for complementary reading.
More Harry Potter-themed books you can enjoy 🪄
- Harry Potter Spellbook: The Unofficial Illustrated Guide to Wizard Training– This book contains a thorough description of all the famous spells used in films, books, and video games about Harry Potter and in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.
- Harry Potter: Coloring Wizardry– The book features over 80 illustrations of beloved scenes for fans of all ages to color.
- Harry Potter Glow in the Dark Coloring Book– This book features more than a dozen pages designed with special glow-in-the-dark ink
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook– A cookbook for muggles. This book has 50 easy-to-make recipes, tips, and techniques.
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Character Compendium– This compendium showcases every character ever mentioned in the Harry Potter books, films, and play
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Bestiary– This beautiful book details every monster, beast, or creature that has ever appeared in any official Harry Potter book, film, or theatrical production
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Hogwarts Handbook– A handbook for Hogwarts school. It has everything about how the school works, how it’s organized, what classes are taught, who teaches them, what secrets or mysteries might be discovered, and much more.
- The Ultimate Wizarding World Guide to Magical Studies– This book explores the full breadth of instruction at Hogwarts, as well as the fine details of each class, from each class syllabus to final exams
More Harry Potter-related posts