This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through my links, I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the products I love and trust.
Find 47 best book club questions and snack ideas for Laura Dave’s novel The Last Thing He Told Me.
The instant New York Times bestseller and Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick The Last Thing He Told Me is a fast-paced thriller that follows the journey of Hannah Hall who is determined to uncover the secrets of her husband Owen Michaels’ mysterious disappearance.
The Last Thing He Told Me is a gripping thriller book club read that touches on several themes such as trust, marriage, family, and self-sacrifice. So, get the best discussion-worthy book club questions and tasty snack ideas for Laura Dave’s heartfelt thriller.
The Last Thing He Told Me Synopsis
- A 2022 Audie Award Finalist
- New York Times Bestseller
- Reese Witherspoon Book Club Pick
- Goodreads Choice Award Winner for Best Mystery & Thriller (2021)
The Last Thing He Told Me takes readers on a thrilling journey alongside Hannah Hall and she resolutely unravels the mystery surrounding her husband’s disappearance.
However, just as before his vanishing, Owen Michaels manages to secretly pass a note to his beloved wife Hannah, with just two words “Protect her.” Though initially bewildered and frightened, Hannah soon realizes that the note is referring to Bailey, Owen’s sixteen-year-old daughter from his previous relationship. Bailey has endured the tragic loss of her mother and wants nothing to do with her new stepmother.
As Hannah’s desperate calls to reach Owen fail and the authorities make sudden arrests, including Owen’s boss, the gravity of the situation becomes clear. The sudden visits from a US Marshal and Federal agents to Hannah’s home further intensify her realization that she has never known Owen’s true identity.
Hannah suspects that her stepdaughter may hold the key to unlocking the mysteries behind Owen’s disappearance and his motives.
So Hannah and Bailey embark on a quest to resolve the mystery. the truth. As they tenaciously put together the pieces of Owen’s past, they soon realize that they may be building a new future without Owen.
47 The Last Thing He Told Me Book Club Questions
- What were your initial assumptions about Owen’s disappearance?
- How does the book title The Last Thing He Told Me contribute to the plot?
- Discuss the relevance of the names of each chapter. How do you think they are connected to the story? Why do you think the author chose to name chapters in this particular way?
- Discuss Owen’s note to Hannah- “Protect her”. Why do you think he chose only those two words? Are they the driving force behind Hannah’s motivation to uncover the truth?
- What do you think about Owen’s decision to disappear all by himself? How would things have unfolded if Owen and Hannah joined together to fix everything?
- Why do you think the family is living in a floating home? How is it relevant to the plot?
- Discuss the evolving relationship between Bailey and Hannah. How has their relationship progressed throughout the story?
- Do you think The Last Thing He Told me is a perfect book for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day? Why or Why not
- According to Hannah, there is an ‘ocean’ between twelve and sixteen years old. Share your perspective on this comment.
- What are your thoughts on Owen’s preparation for his escape? Do you think he might have thought about revealing his secrets to Hannah?
- How do you describe Owen’s role as a father?
- Who is the better parent in your opinion, Owen or Hannah, and why?
- What is your opinion of the narrator of the book? How do you think the story might have been if there were multiple narrators?
- Considering Hannah’s upbringing in the absence of her parents? Do you think it might have influenced her role as a step-parent?
- Discuss the relevance of Hannah’s profession as a woodturner in the story.
- Both Hannah and Bailey have grown up without mothers in their lives. Do you think that might have made them somewhat similar?
- What do you think about Hannah’s decision to bring Bailey to Austin especially given Owen’s specific instruction for Hannah to protect his daughter?
- The Last Thing He Told Me has been described as an evocative drama with breakneck pacing and dizzying plot twists, do you agree?
- How surprised were you by the unexpected twists about Owen? Did these revelations change your impression of Owen?
- Discuss the events surrounding Owen taking Bailey away from Austin and eventually Hannah bringing her back to that place.
- How would you describe Hannah’s roles as a wife and a stepmother?
- How would you describe Laura Dave’s storytelling skills?
- Compare The Last Thing He Told Me to other domestic suspense thrillers you’ve read
- Who was the most unforgettable character in The Last Thing He Told Me.
- What do you think Bailey’s life might have turned out if she was living with her grandfather?
- What’s your opinion about Hannah declining the witness protection program?
- What do you think about Bailey as the narrator of the book?
- How would you react if you found out that your partner had been lying to you?
- Discuss the themes of love and loyalty is The Last Thing He Told Me.
- Discuss the impact of lies and secrets on a relationship.
- How do you describe Hannah’s life without Owen? Do you think she might have moved on seeking a new life?
- Discuss The Last Thing He Told Me as a family drama with a central theme of self-sacrifice.
- Explore the stepmother-step-daughter relationship in The Last Thing He Told Me.
- What do you think about the ending of The Last Thing He Told Me? Do you have any ideas for an alternative ending?
- Discuss the significance of the last chapter Five Years Later. Or Eight. Or Ten.
- ‘Mom’ she says, What were your thoughts on this?
- Describe your favorite and least favorite moments from The Last Thing He Told Me.
- Discuss the Apple TV adaptation of The Last Thing He Told Me.‘ It’s interesting that Julia Roberts was initially considered for the role of Hannah before Jennifer Garner was cast, while Nikolaj Coster-Waldau portrays Owen Michaels. What are your thoughts on castings? Do you think the novel was better suited to be adapted for the big screen than as a limited series?
- Do you think The Last Thing He Told Me was a heartfelt thriller?
- Discuss the quote -“The could-have-been boys still love you.” from The Last Thing He Told Me
- He never understood that I wasn’t scared of someone leaving me. I was scared that the wrong person would stay.” How would you describe the relevance of this quote in life in general?
- What do you think about the plot of The Last Thing He Told Me? Did the events feel forced?
- If you were a friend of Hannah, explain how you would have helped her during all these circumstances.
- If you could ask one question author Laura Dave what would you ask and why?
- Are you excited to read more books from the author?
- Do you think there were any events or storylines left unresolved in The Last Thing He Told Me?
- Finally, describe the top three emotions that you felt after reading The Last Thing He Told Me.
The Last Thing He Told Me Book Club Snack Ideas
Laura Dave’s The Last Thing He Told Me is a domestic thriller that promises a rollercoaster of suspense, secrets, and shocking revelations. So as you discuss the book in your your book club add an extra layer of excitement with some carefully selected snack ideas. It’s always better to delve into the thrilling world of a novel while munching on delicious snacks. These are the best treats to keep your taste buds and minds engaged.
- Million dollar deviled eggs
- Bite- sized finger food recipes
- Spicy popcorn
- Mini meatballs
- Stuffed jalapenos
- Dark chocolate truffles
More Book Club Ideas and Activities
- The Last Thing He Told Me Book Club soundtrack – The playlist of the songs that Laura Dave listened to while writing. Featuring music from Bruce Springsteen, Sade, and Bob Dylan.
- Discuss book club members’ favorite thriller TV show or movie.
- Discuss movies set in Austin.
- Play dumb charades of famous mystery thriller characters from books or movies.
- Do a speed book review of The Last Thing He Told Me– Set a timer for one minute and have each member share their thoughts on the book.
- The Last Thing He Told Me book trivia: Divide the book club members into teams and conduct a trivia question competition.
Frequently Asked Questions about Lessons in Chemistry:
- What is The Last Thing He Told Me about?
The Last Thing He Told Me is a domestic suspense thriller novel by Laura Dave. It follows the journey of Hannah Hall, who is searching for the truth about her husband’s mysterious disappearance.
- Is The Last Thing He Told Me Worth Reading?
The Last Thing He Told Me is an engrossing thriller for anyone looking for a fast-paced story. The novel has been praised for its suspenseful and twisty plot, well-developed characters, and gripping storytelling.
- Is The Last Thing He Told Me a good book club book?
Yes, The Last Thing He Told Me can be a great book recommendation for a book club. It offers an exhilarating story that keeps readers engaged and gives the vibes of a true crime story. The book explores the themes of family, trust and sacrifice all of which can make it a discussion-worthy book club read. Additionally, the book was also chosen as a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick, making it a thought-provoking selection for any book club.
- What is the trigger warning for The Last Thing He Told Me?
The trigger warnings of The Last Thing He Told Me include abandonment, the death of a parent, murder, and a car accident.
- Is The Last Thing He Told Me Based on a True Story?
The Last Thing He Told Me is not based on a true story but in an interview author Laura Dave revealed that she has drawn inspiration from real-life corporate scandals to write the plot.
- Is The Last Thing He Told Me Sad?
The novel The Last Thing He Told Me does have a heartbreaking twist at the end.
- How many episodes does The Last Thing He Told Me to have?
The Last Thing He Told Me is a 7 episode series.
- Is The Last Thing He Told Me Out Yet?
As of May 10, the first five episodes are available on Apple TV.
Book club posts: