This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through my links, I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the products I love and trust.
25 The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Book club Questions & Snack Ideas
Get 25 of the best discussion-worthy questions of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
With its compelling characters and richly-drawn setting, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was a five-star read for me. Read the full review here.
With over two million ratings on Goodreads, it’s evident that the book is a popular choice among many readers. This is why I believe the book would make a perfect book club read as well.
The primary themes of the novel are love, ambition, and fame, the book also illuminates the choices we make and the sacrifices we’re willing to endure in order to live our lives on our own terms.
So if your book club plans to discuss The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo in 2023, find 25 of the best discussion-worthy questions! These questions will help you delve deeper into the complex characters and themes of the novel.
Along with it, you can also find the best book club snack ideas that are best suited for a historical fiction book like The Seven Husband’s of Evelyn Hugo.
I hope your book club loves the novel just as much as I did!
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Synopsis
BUY NOW ON AMAZON | LISTEN FREE ON AUDIBLE
- Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Best Historical Fiction (2017)
- New York Times Bestseller
Evelyn Hugo, a reclusive Hollywood movie icon, has finally agreed to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life to an unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant.
Monique is puzzled as to why she was chosen to do the job (the interview). Regardless of the reason, Monique is determined to use it as an opportunity to jump-start her floundering career. As Evelyn recounts a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and great forbidden love, Monique is drawn in by her honesty and charm.
She begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star. However, as the secrets of Evelyn’s past come to light, it becomes clear that her life and Monique’s intersect in tragic and irreversible ways. Set in the backdrop of Old Hollywood glamour, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a compelling tale that is worth discussing in your reading group.
25 The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Book Club Questions
BUY NOW ON AMAZON | LISTEN FREE ON AUDIBLE
- What was your first impression of Evelyn Hugo as a character? How has it changed as the story progressed?
- Who is your favourite character from the book? What’s the reason to like them?
- Do you think the book was really engaging from the start?
- Which of Evelyn’s seven husbands did you like the most? And why?
- Were there any particular moments in the novel that stood out to you as extremely emotional?
- Do you think the media has played a big role in shaping Evelyn’s public persona?
- How do you think Evelyn’s experiences as a Hollywood star in the 1950s and 1960s were shaped by her identity as a Cuban-American woman?
- How did the novel’s structure, with alternating chapters influence your overall reading experience?
- What do you think about Evelyn’s relationships with her friends and family members?
- What do you think about the LGBTQ+ themes and characters of the novel?
- How do you find Monique’s character? What do you think about the interaction between Monique and Evelyn?
- How do you compare the characteristics of Monique and Evelyn? Whom do you like the most and why?
- Were there any aspects of the novel’s historical context that you found particularly fascinating and why?
- What do you think about the setting of Old Hollywood to explore broader themes about identity, love, and ambition?
- Were there any moments in the book that made you reconsider your own views or assumptions about goals and ambitions in your own life?
- Were there any parts of the book that you found challenging or uncomfortable to read, and why?
- Do you think the book exposes the issues of power and privilege, particularly in the entertainment industry?
- Were there any particular parts from the book that stuck with you after finishing it?
- What’s your opinion about Evelyn’s decision to keep her relationship with Celia a secret for so long?
- What do you think the novel has to say about the ways in which we construct our own identities and the role that other people play in shaping them?
- Were there any characters that might have surprised you with their actions or motivations throughout the story?
- What are themes and ideas or characters in the book that you felt could have been explored in more depth?
- How does The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo compare to other historical fiction novels with similar themes that you’ve read?
- Do you think that Evelyn Hugo’s actions were morally justifiable?
- How does Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing style in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo compare to her other novels such as Daisy Jones and Six and Malibu Rising?
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Book Club Snack Ideas:
One of the best ways to make any book club meeting enjoyable is by having delicious snacks that everyone would love. It’s also a clever idea to choose a snack that will somewhat relate to the book club read. So if you’re hosting a book club meeting around Taylor Jenkins Reid’s The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, here are a few book club snack ideas. These sumptuous snacks are inspired by the book’s characters and plot.
- Manhattan Cheesecake
Manhattan Cheesecake would be a great snack for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo because it is a classic and sophisticated dessert. It’s also often served at upscale events and parties, which is fitting for a book that explores Hollywood’s glitz and glamour. Here is the recipe for Manhattan Cheesecake
- Cuban Sandwiches
As Evelyn Hugo is of Cuban descent it makes perfect sense to serve up some classic Cuban sandwiches as a nod to this aspect of the book’s themes. Here is one of the easiest Cuban Sandwich recipe.
- Manhattan cocktail
If you want to feel like you’re living the high life just like Evelyn, you might want to get a Manhattan cocktail, while discussing the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
Of course, popcorn is a staple snack that can be paired with a Hollywood-inspired book like The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Get this gourmet popcorn kernels to make the best popcorn. You can also go for toppings like parmesan cheese, dark chocolate, truffle salt, or cinnamon brown sugar.
- Chocolate Truffles
I am sure Evelyn Hugo’s extravagant parties might have served up some chocolate truffles. So why not get some gourmet chocolate truffles to discuss the life of Hugo.
What to read after The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo:
Here are similar books to read if you loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
- Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Meet me in Monaco by Hazel Gaynor & Heather Webb
Want more? Then dive into this post. I have complied the list of 16 books like The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
What is the message of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo?
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a novel that explores themes of love, identity, and the cost of fame. The main message of the novels is that one’s personal and public identities can be entirely different. The book also explains that true love and acceptance can only come from being honest with oneself and others. The book also emphasises the struggles and sacrifices that come with having a successful career in Hollywood.
Why is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo so popular?
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo became so popular due to Taylor Jenkins Reid’s engaging writing style, well-crafted plot, and compelling characters. The story set in the backdrop of Hollywood’s golden age, as well as its examination of LGBTQ+ relationships has resonated with many readers.
Is The 7 husbands of Evelyn Hugo going to be a movie?
Yes, a movie adaptation of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is currently in development with Netflix. According to the latest reports, the producers are Brad Mendelsohn and Liza Chasin. Liz Tigelaar is writing the screenplay. Taylor Jenkins Reid and Margeret Chernin are executive producers.
What is Evelyn Hugo’s real name?
Evelyn Hugo’s real name is Evelyn Elena Herrera.
What age is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo appropriate for?
The book is recommended for readers aged 18 and up.
There you have the discussion guide for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
Now, It’s time to grab the book, gather your friends, and let the discussion begin!
The Complete Book List of Taylor Jenkins Reid Books
19 Inexpensive Book Club Gift Ideas
24 Uplifting Books For Your Book Club